Each church in the Citylight Family share 5 distinctives that provide consistency across the churches, but also allow for unique neighborhood based mission and spiritual gifting’s within each church. This allows for connectedness and familiarity amongst the churches while allowing each to spread the gospel to their neighbors in a unique way.
1. GOSPEL CENTERED
The Gospel really is good news and we are committed to heralding the timeless message that God can save sinners, grow His people and use them to be a part of His redemptive work. Citylight churches are committed to worshiping Jesus, exalting Him through the preaching of God’s word, and calling people to live in light of His finished work.
2. GATHER & SCATTER
Citylight churches gather regularly for the preaching and teaching of God’s word, to observe the sacraments, and to corporately worship Jesus. We also scatter into groups throughout the week to live as a spiritual family and live on mission in the places we live, work, and play. LEARN MORE
3. TEAM LEADERSHIP
Citylight churches are not built around one personality or leader, but are led by leadership teams. We believe the church benefits from hearing from different voices and that pastors are blessed when the responsibility of leadership is shared.
4. COMMITMENT TO CHURCH PLANTING
We are churches committed to planting new autonomous churches. We want to see new disciples get raised up, new leaders empowered, new pastors trained and new churches planted.
5. THE C&MA
The Christian Missionary Alliance has been a more than a denomination to us, but has become a family. We have received support, coaching, prayer and resources from the C&MA and want to continue to plant C&MA churches. As such, we joyfully affirm and adopt the C&MA doctrinal statement.
BELIEFS & VISION
What we believe
- Church planting is God’s primary way of advancing the gospel!
- God has called us to plant churches in the Omaha Metro area for the good of this city and the glory of God.
- The best way to make disciples and mature disciples is by planting new churches.
- New disciples are made as new networks and communities are engaged by a new local churches.
- New leaders are surfaced, trained and empowered as churches are planted.
- Existing disciples are matured through church planting because people are called to serve, give and trust Jesus in grater ways.
- These existing disciples will grow in their Christ-likeness as they live in community and begin living on mission.
- We dream of the day when every corner of our city will have a gospel-centered, Jesus-exalting, Spirit-led church family committed to worshiping King Jesus and serving our community.
- We dream of a family of churches that will work together to engage our city, serve the poor, train leaders and committee themselves to church planting.
- We dream of a movement that is slow enough to care for everyone in our church families and fast enough to reach Omaha with the gospel.
- We dream of thousands of people meeting Jesus, being baptized, and joining the mission of the church.
- We dream of an Omaha that is known around the world as a place where a movement of God is changing the city.
DOWN | GOSPEL
The gospel is the “good news” that God has reached down to us in his son, Jesus, to defeat sin and death and their effects in our world. Through his life, death, and resurrection, Jesus has initiated and accomplished what we never could. This gospel is the “power of God” (Rom. 1:16) to overcome the penalty of sin (past) the power of sin (present) and the presence of sin (future). It is the power for personal salvation and transformation as well as the renewal of neighborhoods, cities, and nations. We never move past Jesus. We never move past the gospel. Who we are and what we do will be rooted in and empowered by God’s reaching down in the gospel.
UP | FORMATION
We have all been formed into a certain kind of person. The goal of the gospel is not just to save us from hell, but to renew our character and lives “until Christ is formed in you” (Gal. 4:19). We are committed to proclaiming the gospel not just as the front door to Christianity but as the good news that we live by every day. We are committed to being a church that drives people to personal repentance and faith in Jesus for a changed and transformed life.
IN | COMMUNITY
The church is not a place but a people. It’s not just a weekly assembly of individuals, but a community committed to loving each other well and doing life together. Community is the context for gospel formation and mission. We will not settle for being a weekly service for people to attend, but will continually drive people to share their lives with others as “a people for [God’s] own possession” (1 Pet. 2:9).
OUT | MISSION
The church IS God’s missionary agency to fulll the great commission. Emil Brunner wrote, “The church exists by mission as a fire exists by burning.” Therefore, “missions” is not one ministry within the church, but the very orientation of the church. The same gospel that transforms us also compels us outward on mission. We exist as a church on mission to be “a city on a hill” and “the light of the world” (Matt. 5:14). We are committed to living as a scattered church during the week in City Groups and as a gathered church on Sunday as our City Groups come together.